Sunday, October 4, 2009

So I Went to Sweden and Didn't Get Meatballs

So I went to Stockholm, Sweden on Friday.

On Friday morning, a groups of us from the dorm (Sam, Amanda, Annie, Kari, Jordan, Matt, and I) woke to bustling around our rooms trying to pack out bags to go to Stockholm. We completed the task and checked that part of the trip off our list. We all met in the lobby of the dorm and made our way to the bus that would bring us right to the Airport from outside our dorm (a little to convenient). After about 20 minutes, we made it to the airport, wandered around to try and figure out the layout, so that in the future, with the many other flights we take, we won't be running around with our heads cut off trying to figure it out. We made it through security and into the terminal where we sat for a while waiting for our flight to get a gate. I read and wrote for a bit while everyone else hung around. Our gate was assigned and we made our way to the plane to board.

Now lets backup a few hours to me waking up and packing my bag and such again. I woke up like it was another day, went to see my friends, got on public transportation, did the routine. It was not until I sat on the plane and waited to take off that Annie reminded us of the realization, "we are going to Stockholm, Sweden for the weekend and then coming back to Prague to study and live." Then the light bulb finally clicked in my thick head and I realized I AM GOING TO STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN FOR THE WEEKEND AND THEN COMING BACK TO PRAGUE TO STUDY AND LIVE!!!

Now that we have that sorted out, I sat on the plane was so so very excited to get to Stockholm. We took off and landed about an hour and a half later. We got off the plane and discovered that yes, Sweden is definitely north of the Czech Republic, and then proceeded to put our jackets and sweatshirts on to protect us from the cold. We took a bus to the city center and began our journey.

We walked around the center of the city for a while before making into the subway where we bought our train passes and proceeded to our hostel. We made it to the hostel and then decided to go wondering around that part of the city for a while. Sweden is a very modern city, but has some of the cutest little shops ever. We looked in every window imaginable on our mile walk and then made our way back to the train stop and went to the city center again. It was about 6 in the evening at this point and the Sun was going down. We wandered along the river and saw some of the most beautiful buildings. We stopped a few times and I sat along the edge of the river, thinking and trying to take in this beautiful city. We then called it a night and headed back to the hostel.

The next day, we woke early to try and get in as much as we could. We found a map of the city and a map with all the museums' locations and headed out. At this point, I was handed the map to navigate the group around the city (uh oh, do they know who they handed the map to, maybe I should tell them I thought the world was a cube for the longest time, and then maybe will take the maps away from me) I accepted the task and actually got the group around the city well. We wandered along the river and across a few bridges to a few islands, taking pictures as we went.

Random Thought: So Stockholm is not only built along rivers, but is also built right next to the Baltic Sea. These people are serious about their water. Alright, back to my rant.

The buildings there are just beautiful, as well as all the sailboats, my goodness were there a lot of sailboats. We made it to the Aquarium and to the Nobel Museum where we saw a lot of interesting exhibits.

I think the most amazing part of being there had to be just walking around, details of Autumn in every direction, taking pictures of all the wonder.

Random Thought #2: The people in Sweden are gorgeous. The men, the women, and everyone in between. And based on what I heard, a humongous portion of the population speaks English. And we are back to the rant.

We finally ate some lunch and headed back to the hostel for a bit to rest up. We then went out to a small pub where we were told we could get some traditional Swedish food. We ate to our stomachs' content ( a little too much I think), and then wandered for a bit to see if we could work off the pounds upon pounds we just added to our body mass. We called it an early night so that we could get some sleep before waking up at 4 a.m. to get out the door to catch our bus to the airport. Did I mention that the airport is an hour and a half outside the city limits (kind of a pain to get back and forth to). We made it through the normal airport stuff and then sat and waited. We finally made it onto the plane and made it back to Prague.

Then the realization hit again. I say "made it back to Prague" so effortlessly, and then discover yet again, that I am in Prague. Prague is my home base for the next few months and I will love every time I get off the plane from a long weekend in a new place and walk in this beautiful city, my home.

Until next time...

1 comment: