Sunday, September 6, 2009

Early Days, Praha

On Saturday the 5th, my group from AIFS and I left the Hotel in Munich and loaded onto buses for the last leg of our journey. The bus ride from Munich to Prague is about 6 hours in all so many of the students could catch up on some long lost sleep. We stopped at the Pilsner Beer Factory for lunch when we crossed the border into the Czech Republic. It was a nice lunch, but I think everyone, including myself, was very anxious to make it to the dorm in Prague. We finally got to the dorm and dealt with all the administrative stuff before going to our rooms. I was so happy to unpack everything out of my suitcases. Living out of a suitcase is a somewhat miserable task, but now, all my stuff is finally unpacked.

Our first night in Prague, two of my new friends, Alex and Sam, and I decided to break off from the main group and wander around Prague. We took the Metro (subway) 4 stops away from our dorm and climbed the stairs out of the Metro station to the ground. I got to the the surface and looked up in a sea of wonder and excitment. We walked into the most beautiful square with the oldest buildings I think I have ever seen. THe lights from the night life mixed with the mystique of the old buildings add up to a thrilling environment. Alex, Sam and I found a pub to eat at and then emerged from it about 2 hours later when we decided to take the Metro to the Old City.

Getting off the train at the old city, we wandered around until we finally walked across Charles Bridge. My heart dropped immediately at the sights seen from that bridge. We looked up about halfway across the bridge to see Praha (Prague) Castle. I stood looking at the castle for about 10 minutes, completely beside myself from the beauty of this enormous structure in front of me.

We then of course got lost in Prague and needed to take a taxi to get back to the dorm.

Yesterday (Sunday) we woke and did a tour with the AIFS representatives and the ended up wandering around the city for a while finally making it to a supermarket so we could buy some supplies. Last night was relaxed and enjoyed a night without having anything planned.

Today will be somewhat similar to yesterday. So today will be a good day, haha

Pictures will be up soon, I just haven't had a chance because the internet connection here is not solid yet.

1 comment: