Wednesday, September 9, 2009

ECES Orientation Trips

Greetings everyone from Prague. Here in Prague we still have yet to do anything related to classes at Charles University. The past two days students from my program (AIFS) and students from another program through Charles University gathered to go on orientation trips to different parts of the Czech Republic. (ECES is the student exchange portion of Charles University Staff).

Yesterday (Tuesday) I and other members of the group chose to go to Terezin, Czech Republic. Terezin was first made famous with the large fort built in the town in the 1790s. Over the years it then became a prison and then in World War II the fort was taken over by the Nazis and used as a concentration camp for many Jewish people. We were taken to the fort at first and was given a history based mostly around the WWII portion of the fort's history. The fort is very large and had much to be said about it. We then moved on to the town in which the Jewish prisoners were held before being sent to other concentration camps. We walked past many historical places in town and saw many historical artifacts in a museum. After the museum visit we moved on to lunch and collapsed after a very long day. It was a very insightful day, most definitely one I will remember for a very long time.

Today (Wednesday) I and others chose to go to the town of Telc. The town is about 2 hours outside of Prague and is the most picturesque town I think I have ever visited. We arrived and I wandered around town with my friend Amanda and took a lot of pictures. After 30 minutes of shooting, the group and I had a tour of the chateau in town. The chateau has been passed down from 4 main families and is now part of the UNESCO history sights. At the end of the tour, we had learned much about the history of the building, and also learned that living in a chateau would be freakin' amazing, haha. We then got some lunch and some ice cream and took a walk around the rest of the town. The town is so unbearably beautiful, there were pictures to be taken everywhere. We walked through a lovely park and then returned to the bus. Today was much less stressful the the day before. I enjoyed the town of Telc very much.

Tomorrow, everyone has the day off, so I think I am going to explore more parts of the city and take some pictures.

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment